Saturday, February 12, 2011

Porfolio: "Teacher Presence" - Activity 5.4

As an analogy to "social presence", I have termed how a teacher interacts in the eLearning environment, as the "teacher presence". In reviewing the ten best practices for Teaching Online (Boettcher, p 37), half of the practices were about teacher presence: be present; supportive online community; set expectations and how you will communicate; informal feedback; and discussion posts. Boettcher (p. 196) also indicates (and is consistent my own personal learning experience) "the most difficult part of many learning tasks is getting started."

I, therefore, decided to create an Voicethread introduction for my course framework, to introduce myself to the student and also set the expectation and outline how communication will occur. I chose the Voicethread tool, so the students would have a place to add their voice and introduce themselves. You may also read the script of this Voicethread. These links have been integrated into the Course Framework page of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment