Friday, February 4, 2011

Portfolio: Course Framework - Activity 4.4

This activity - both in terms of purpose and expectation - was initially unclear. My first thought on a framework topic was to teach how to tell time with an analog clock. This is a module in my on-line tutoring class that the students have difficulty with. As I tried to develop this course and decide on the different curriculum priorities and the approaches I might take, I felt the topic was too narrow to be representative of the pedagogy I am learning.

I decided to do a course on colon cancer based on my knowledge and work (founding president of a non-profit whose goal it is to eradicate colon cancer by early detection). It was a challenge to clarify and focus my knowledge. I felt like I sometimes do when I research things on the internet; I had lots of information, but how do I focus it in something cohesive? I found, by using, the Wiggins&McTigue Model of a Framework for Establishing Curricular Priorities, I was able to sift and sort through the information.

I also chose to create a focused page in my blog of my Course Framework. I will udpate this page as the course progresses. I find it easier when I have a centralized place for my work. It had been suggested we could use other communication tools - such as audio and/or video - to indicate our thinking and/or Framework product. I feel more comfortable with the page concept - as I can insert updates quickly and in a organized way.

1 comment:

  1. It does get confusing, when you've got an assignment you know is coming up, but you haven't yet learned all the pieces to complete it. I love the idea of setting up a page for your framework planning. I've done that on my own blog with projects, and I do something similar on wikis when I'm planning presentations. It's nice to have a place you can update whenever you need. I like your topic, and I'm glad it's something meaningful to you!

    ReplyDelete